Strontium Support II**
Strontium Support II is an organic, stable strontium form (not to be confused with the radioactive strontium-90 isotope). Strontium is a trace mineral in the diet whose metabolism is closely tied to that of calcium, and which concentrates in the skeletal system, where it supports the function of osteoblasts (the cells which form new bone) while reducing the differentiation and activity of osteoclasts (the cells which resorb old bone). Extensive evidence supports a role for strontium in supporting skeletal health.
Strontium:The First Bone-Building Supplement!
Bone loss accelerates suddenly in menopausal women because the drop in estrogen levels causes an increase in the resorption (teardown) of existing bone. But resorption is only half of the story. Age-related bone loss is also caused by a decrease in the formation of new bone tissue.
Existing drugs for treating osteoporosis, as well as calcium and vitamin D supplements, work by reducing bone resorption. But they do not support the formation of new bone. These drugs and nutrients increase the mineralization of bone, but they do not help the body to build new bone tissue. And in fact, within weeks of starting use of antiresorptive drugs like Fosamax,® the body's formation of new bone actually decreases. The resulting bone is less prone to fracture, but is not the same as youthful, healthy bone.
Strontium is a mineral found along with calcium in most foods. Research has long suggested that it may be an essential nutrient required for the normal development, structure, function, and health of the skeletal system. Clinical trials going back into the 1940s have supported this conclusion, but recent studies have provided evidence that it can offer unique nutritional support against loss of bone structure and function.
Strontium Support II conveniently provides high-quality strontium at an effective dose in only two capsules.
Take one to two capsules daily on an empty stomach, at least two hours before or after food, calcium or milk, but ensure that daily calcium intake is adequate. Calcium, food and milk products significantly reduce strontium absorption if taken at the same time.
Serving Size: 2 Capsules % DRI
Strontium (from citrate) .................642 mg *
Produced through pharmaceutical synthesis
*Daily value not established..
Other ingredients: none.
AOR guarantees that no ingredients not listed on the label have been added to the product. Contains no wheat, gluten, corn, nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, fish or shellfish.
Main Applications As reported by literature:
Supports skeletal health.
Source Pharmaceutical synthesis
Pregnancy / Nursing No studies have been conducted. Best to avoid.
Ensure calcium intake is also adequate. Do not take at the same time as calcium supplements.
Animal studies have shown that Strontium supplements both decrease bone resorption, and increase the formation of new bone tissue.
Human clinical trials also support Strontium's ability to both support new bone formation and prevent excessive resorption.
• In animal models, Strontium (in various forms, such as chloride, carbonate, gluconate, and lactate) causes "baby" osteoblasts (bone-building cells) to multiply more quickly.
• Bone tissue cultures which are exposed to Strontium synthesize more bone matrix and new bone collagen. The same amount of calcium has no effect on these parameters.
• In bone tissue culture, Strontium reduces bone resorption at concentrations at which calcium has no effect, prevents the resorption caused by excessive parathyroid hormone, and slows the rate at which immature osteoclasts develop.
• Strontium-supplemented diets boost bone strength in experimental animals without a negative impact on bone quality, even at extremely high doses.
• The results of early clinical trials using Strontium (lactate) led researchers to speculate that Strontium increased osteoblast activity.
• Bone biopsies from a small human pilot trial revealed an astounding 172.4% increase in new bone formation activity after six months of Strontium (gluconate) supplementation.
• The bone-building activity of osteoblasts can be measured using bone-specific alkaline phosphatase, while cross-linked N-telopeptide (NTx) and C-telopeptide (CTx) mark the degradation of bone collagen by ravaging osteoclasts.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. **Results may vary from person to person.
The information and product descriptions appearing on this website are for information purposes only, and are not intended to provide medical advice to individuals. Consult with your physician if you have any health concerns, and before initiating any new diet, exercise, supplement, or other lifestyle changes.
Item Number: AOR08161
Manufacturer: Advanced Orthomolecular Research
Manufacturer Part #: 624917081619